Chalke Valley Forum Forum Index

<  Sport in the Valley  ~  Broad Chalke Cricket pitch

JohnB
Posted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Member Joined: 26 Oct 2007 Posts: 22 Location: Broad Chalke
I believe that there's a suggestion that Broad Chalke moves its cricket pitch from Chalke Valley Sports Centre ground at Hatch Field, Knighton Road to Bowerchalke under Marleycombe Hill.

A lovely environment if it's the field I am thinking of, right under the massive Marleycombe Hill, and the possibility of a more rural setting than the increasingly institutional setting at Hatch Field with the bland changing rooms.

Is it intended to have an old-fashioned timber cricket pavilion with a white-painted timber fence in front? This would provide a more traditional "village cricket" environment without the extra bits and pieces of skate park, football stuff, tennis courts with ugly wire fencing, school and houses that surround Hatch Field.

It may mean a slightly longer season as the football team takes over the Sports Ground at Hatch Field before many cricket clubs have finished their season.

Bishopstone has a pleasant cricket ground but I believe that maintenance has been difficult to organise and costly recently, so there is also the possibility of merging the clubs, but I suppose Broad Chalke wants to remain separate.
JohnB
Posted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:42 am Reply with quote
I've now heard that the proposed field for the new cricket pitch is Butts Field at the back of Bowerchalke Church with Marleycombe Hill to the south; I often cycle along the path there and it's a lovely quiet place.

It sounds promising; I remember playing cricket in my youth at country villages in just such fields and with the Church and a huge hill as backdrops it should be very bucolic.

It is probably this field:-

This shows the Churchyard from the field:-
JohnB
Posted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Here's another photo of the proposed ground:-

One comment I have is that the pavilion is facing South West and will get the full sun all afternoon, which may cause so much glare that it will be difficult to watch the play.
JohnB
Posted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:09 pm Reply with quote
The Bunbury All Stars Cricket Club will be coming to play during the gala opening weekend in June 2010.

The new ground will be a satellite of the CVSC and some games may still be played at Broad Chalke on the artificial wicket.

See the Cricket Club website http://www.chalkevalleycricketclub.com ( not up and running as at 31/10/08 ) or read about monthly progress in The Wisden Cricketer Magazine or contact Jamie Holland on 01722 781111.
JohnB
Posted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:48 am Reply with quote
Progress Report.

The square has been stripped of turf and topsoil and the outfield must have been sprayed with herbicide because all the grass is dead.

The photo below is looking towards the south east from the south west and there appears to be a diagonal cross-slope north-west/south-east which is more than the Lords slope at present but can be levelled. The run-ups from the left and right (north and south) seem to be reasonably level.

The blue pile next to my bike is coiled perforated ducting.
JohnB
Posted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:15 pm Reply with quote
More Progress Photos 1 and Progress Photos 2
JohnB
Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:09 pm Reply with quote
The artificial turf wicket has been laid recently.

It's fixed with closely spaced pins all round the edge. I can't tell if it's been laid on the grass but it's extremely spongy. If it is on top of the grass, when the grass underneath dies then it could become a little loose.

I think it will take all the speed out of a fast ball and affect the bounce. I imagined that it would be hard and make a fast wicket, but it's very soft. I suppose the installers knew what they were doing.

The grass is about an inch long, which is much longer than the grass on a normal wicket which is cut so close that it's just bare soil with the roots showing.
JohnB
Posted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:40 pm Reply with quote
The first game (for juniors, not on the main square) was held today in incredible warm sunshine with no wind.

A scorebox shell was erected, but it's only five yards away from and at the side of the position of the future pavilion, so anyone in there wanting to see the score will have to walk out onto the field and look back.

Temporary toilets haven't arrived yet (at noon) so I heard one young lady saying everyone would have to use a hedge. The tent will be used for a drinks party tomorrow and will be needed for matches until funds are available to build a pavilion. I'm not sure whether the tent in the photo will be taken down to be replaced as and when required or whether it's there for the whole season.

Edit 18/04/10:- At a drinks party today for those who contributed towards the cost of the new ground I learned that the tent has been bought from Hampshire CC where improvements at the Rose Bowl meant that this hospitality tent was no longer required, so it will be used as a pavilion for at least two years. Funding a permanent pavilion has been put on the back burner while other things like nets and electricity are installed.

Yesterday and today have been absolutely fabulous weather, bright sun, no wind and hot after early morning frost was burnt off.

No sign of temporary toilets today either.
JohnB
Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:58 am Reply with quote
The Bunbury Cricket Club All Stars came to play during the gala opening weekend on Sunday 27th June 2010; there was a beer tent, Pimms Bar, traction engines, fairground rides, craft and food stalls, children's entertainment; 12 noon; adults 6; children 3; lunch 55; contact Peter Bell; tel 01722 780752.

It was a lovely hot, sunny day, lots of people. Graeme Hick hit a six off his first ball onto the marquee roof, then over the marquee and lost the ball and was eventually caught at Long Off by Richard Lamb off Mark Cuff. Jeff Thomson was also playing.

Lots of stalls, classic cars and bikes, a steam engine and lots of money into the coffers of club and charity and a TV tent to watch Germany thrash England 4-1 in World Cup football. Never mind, England beat the Aussies at cricket in the one-day series to win the series 3-0 so far in a five match series. Here are some photos of the Bunbury CC Match.
http://www.broadchalke.info/photopages/cricketground3.html